Roku has been around for a long time now. It gained its popularity by offering the users an exceptional selection of onboard media apps. But most of the apps on Roku TV require a premium membership to access their content.
In this article, we’re going to cover the possible ways to stream premium content from Showbox on your Roku, for free. Stick with me and I’ll show you the step-by-step procedure on how to watch Showbox on Roku.
But before we get started, you must know what exactly Showbox is.
What is Showbox?
Showbox is one of the most popular video streaming applications that give you access to a myriad of Movies and TV Shows, for free.
It is similar to the likes of Netflix, Prime Video, and Hotstar. But, while these premium content streaming platforms charge you a monthly or annual subscription fee, Showbox absolutely does not charge you anything.
Much like Popcorn Time and Kodi, Showbox offers the users all its premium content for free.
Now that we’ve gone over that, let’s jump right into the topic.
Can you install Showbox on Roku?
If you’re reading this article, there’s a fairly high chance that you might have come across other tutorials on how to watch Showbox on Roku. You also might have noticed that while some tutorials say that you can install Showbox, some say that Showbox absolutely cannot be installed on Roku or other smart devices.
Well, let me clear it up for you.
Showbox can be natively downloaded only on android devices. Since it is available as an APK file, it can be installed on both your Android smartphones and Android TVs like Sony, Vu, and Samsung Smart TV.
As of now, the developers haven’t released any official statement regarding the launch of ShowBox for other platforms. So for this same exact reason, Showbox cannot be installed on Roku directly. Roku runs on a Linux based OS called RokuOS and doesn’t support the installation of apps from third-party sources. Accordingly, Showbox doesn’t have a channel code on Roku.
However, there are a few workarounds, using which, users can still manage to use the Showbox App on other platforms which do not support third-party applications such as Chromecast, Roku, etc.
How to watch Showbox on Roku?
First, you must know that since iOS doesn’t support the installation of APK files,
you need to have an Android Smartphone for this process to work.
On your Android smartphone, you need to install the Showbox APK file from your browser.
Here are the steps to follow:
On your Android device,
- Go to Settings > Security.
- Locate “Install Unknown Apps” or “Permit unknown sources”.
- You can use this link to download the Showbox app.
- Locate the APK file in your File Manager and click on it to install it.
- After the installation process is complete, click on “Open” to open the Showbox app.
Since we can’t download the Showbox application on Roku, in this process, we will be making use of the “Screencast” feature to stream your Android device’s screen directly onto your Roku.
Here are the steps:
On your Roku:
- Make sure that your Roku TV is turned on and connected to your network.
- Go to the Settings menu on the Roku Home Screen.
- In the Settings menu, look for the System tab.
- Inside System, go to the Screen Mirroring tab.
- Select Enable screen mirroring and make sure that you set it to either “prompt” or “always allow”.
Make sure that your Roku device and your Android Smartphone are on the same Wi-fi network.
With that done, let me show you the process on your Android device.
On your Android Smartphone:
- Go to the Settings app on your android device.
- Locate the Screen Mirroring tab inside the Settings. Depending on your device, this may be named “Wireless display” or “Smart View” or “Cast”.
- Enable Wireless display and choose the option “Cast screen”.
- In the list of the devices, select the name of your Roku TV (“Roku” by default).
On the off chance that your Android device does not have screen mirroring built-in, you can simply download the All Screen app from the Google Play Store and use it to cast your screen onto your Roku.
Although Roku doesn’t officially support Showbox natively, you can still use Screen Mirroring to cast your content from an Android Smartphone onto your Roku. This is the most hassle-free and efficient method to watch Showbox on Roku.