If you are using Kodi, then you are a power user. And your day-to-day routine might consist of solving bugs and problems you face on the open-source media player. Since the software is open-source, it is in continuous development and thus prone to many bugs.
Also, most of the add-ons are from third-party developers and aren’t stable. So there might be circumstances where you might need to remove an add-on or its source.
Now, if you find some add-on or repo unsafe, and are looking for tutorials on how to remove the source from Kodi, you’re at the right place.
In this article, we will explain to you how to remove the source from Kodi and any unsafe add-on that you wish to remove.
Unfortunately, deleting an add-on doesn’t delete its data completely. This may leave potentially harmful files hanging around your file system. This article will also show you how to remove these malicious files safely.
What is Kodi?
Kodi is an open-source media player software from the XBMC/Kodi Foundation. It is available for free to everyone and lets you enjoy all your favorite content in one place. It runs apps called add-ons which add extra features.
You can stream from a wide variety of free and premium websites while also playing content stored locally on your device. It can be installed on different types of devices and operating systems making it widely accessible.
Most of the time you need repositories to install some add-ons. Many developers combine and put their repositories on websites that can be accessed from a browser.
The link to these websites is called a source. Once you add the source in Kodi, you can install the repositories from there.
There might be instances that the source you added turned out to be potentially unsafe. In this case, you should get rid of such sources immediately. Follow these steps given below to safely remove the source from Kodi.
- Open your Kodi application.
- Click on the small gear icon on the top-left to open ‘settings’.
- Now, click on “File Manager”.
- You will see a list of sources added. Locate the source you wish to remove and right-click on it.
- Click on the “Remove source” option to remove the particular source.
- A warning dialog box will appear. Click on OK.
- Congrats, you have successfully removed the source from Kodi.
If you wish to remove an unsafe add-on, follow these steps:
Remove Kodi Add-on
- From Kodi’s main menu, select the “add-ons” tab.
- Click on “My add-ons”.
- Click on the “All” folder.
- Locate the add-on you wish to remove.
- Right-click on it and select “Information”.
- Click “uninstall” to remove the add-on.
After deleting the add-on, you might also want to remove its files. Follow these steps below to remove harmful files left by add-ons.
Delete Kodi add-on files
- Go to the main menu and select the gear icon.
- Click on “media” under settings.
- Open the “General” tab.
- In the general tab, make sure the “Show hidden files and directories” option is turned ON.
- Go back to the main menu, select the gear icon, and open file manager.
- Choose profile directory.
- Click add-on data.
- Locate your add-on data folder. Its title will be something like plugin.video.nameofaddon
- Right-click the folder and select delete.
- A warning box will appear, click “Yes” to delete the folder.
Kodi has numerous add-ons which serve to ease our daily lives. But as these add-ons are mostly from third-party developers, they are prone to bugs and errors.
Before adding any add-on or source, you should verify if it’s safe or not. If you want to remove an unsafe source or any add-on, make sure you follow the above steps properly.